Waking up in beautiful destinations is awesome, being able to make a good cuppa too, priceless.
Whilst living in Brunei, I was lucky enough to form a very special relationship with an espresso machine 🥰🤣. I would wake early everyday to spend a few precious moments weighing beans, grinding them to perfection, tampering the ground coffee, brewing the perfect coffee. This was my happy place. When the decision was made to travel, I had a very very difficult decision to make. I was reluctant (* it was a very emotional time) to sell my espresso machine prior to our travels but there was no way it was going to fit in my backpack, it was time to seek out a travel friendly caffeine creator.
I tried a portable drip coffee cup but wasn’t a fan, a french press was too delicate to pack but after Id brewed a few cups using the Aeropress I knew this was the one.
The Aeropress Go is a portable coffee maker that promises to deliver exceptional coffee wherever your adventures take you and it does a great job.
In this comprehensive review, we’ll explore why the Aeropress Go earns its place in our travel gear as an excellent choice for coffee lovers, provide a step-by-step guide on how to use it effectively, and discuss alternative options in the portable coffee market.
Let’s brew up and discover the world of portable coffee brewing!
Why Choose the Aeropress Go?
The Aeropress Go offers several great reasons for choosing it as your portable coffee maker:
- Compact and Lightweight: The Aeropress Go is designed with portability in mind. It is compact, lightweight, and comes with a convenient travel case, making it easy to pack and carry wherever you go. Whether you’re camping, travelling, or simply visiting non coffee friends the Aeropress Go is a perfect companion. Mine packs neatly into a small packing cube along with a pack of beans I pick up at each destination. It stacks in nicely with my other packing cubes in my main bag and as it is pretty sturdy I don’t need to worry about it.
- Versatile and Easy to Use: This coffee maker allows you to brew a wide range of coffee styles, from a rich espresso-like shot to a smoother Americano. The process is straightforward and can be mastered with just a few attempts. The Aeropress Go also comes with a handy scoop, stirrer, and filter holder, ensuring a hassle-free brewing experience. There are loads of recipes available online and every specialist coffee shop I have dropped into on my travels have grinded the beans to the best brewing size and have even given me a demo when I have asked.
- Consistent and Flavorful Results: The Aeropress Go employs a unique brewing method that uses pressure to extract the flavours from the coffee grounds. This results in a clean, well-balanced cup of coffee with minimal bitterness. The versatility of the Aeropress Go allows you to experiment with various grind sizes and brewing times, offering endless possibilities to customize your brew. I have tested out different grind sizes and played with timings to get it just how I like it.
- Easy Cleanup: One of the standout features of the Aeropress Go is its simplicity when it comes to cleanup. Unlike traditional coffee makers, it doesn’t require intricate cleaning processes. A quick rinse of the Aeropress Go and a gentle wipe down is all it takes to keep it in top condition. I bought metal reusable filters to travel with, these have been excellent and after a year of travel and cleaning are still performing well. I do have the paper filters that come with the Aeropress stashed in my bag but prefer the metal ones.
Here is a link to a great set of filters to take with you.
How to Use the Aeropress Go Effectively:
Using the Aeropress Go is a breeze once you understand the process. I watched a few different videos on YouTube, there are annual competitions, award winning recipes and brewing techniques so take a browse through and see what works for you.
Here’s a solid step-by-step guide to help you brew a delicious cup of coffee:
- Prepare Your Coffee: Grind your coffee beans to a medium-fine consistency, ensuring an even extraction. Measure out the desired amount of coffee using the included scoop. Remember the coffee you use will determine the quality of your cup, fresh roasted beans are always going to taste better than a pack of the shelves in the supermarket.
- Assemble the Aeropress Go: Place a paper filter or reusable metal filter in the filter cap and attach it to the chamber. Place the chamber on top of your coffee mug or travel cup.
- Add Coffee and Water: Pour the ground coffee into the chamber and level it. Start pouring hot water, just off the boil, into the chamber, saturating the coffee grounds. Stir gently to ensure all the grounds are evenly wet.
- Brew Time: Allow the coffee to steep for about 1-2 minutes, depending on your desired strength. During this time, the coffee is extracting its flavours.
- Plunge and Enjoy: Attach the plunger to the chamber and slowly press down with steady pressure until you hear a hissing sound. This indicates that all the coffee has been extracted. Your flavorful cup of coffee is now ready to be enjoyed!
I personally prefer the flip method which you can watch here.
Pros and Cons of the Aeropress Go:
Like any coffee brewing device, the Aeropress Go has its pros and cons. Here’s a breakdown to help you make an informed decision:
- Portability and compact design
- Versatile brewing options
- Consistent and flavorful results
- Easy cleanup process
- Durable and travel-friendly
- Limited brewing capacity (ideal for single servings)
- Requires manual operation (may not be suitable for those seeking automated brewing)
- Some learning curve for finding the perfect brewing technique
- Requires hot water source (not ideal for situations without access to hot water)
Alternative Options in the Portable Coffee Market:
While the Aeropress Go offers a fantastic portable coffee experience, it’s worth exploring other options available in the market. Here are a few alternatives with their respective pros and cons:
- The French Press is a classic and widely popular brewing method. It offers a full-bodied coffee with rich flavors. However, it may not be as compact and portable as the Aeropress Go, and cleanup can be a bit more involved.
Pour-Over Travel Kit:
- Pour-over kits, such as the collapsible dripper and filter paper combo, offer a lightweight and compact solution. They allow for precise control over the brewing process and are suitable for those who appreciate a cleaner and lighter-bodied coffee. However, they require a steady hand and careful pouring technique.
Portable Espresso Machines:
- For espresso lovers, portable espresso machines provide an option to enjoy a shot of espresso wherever you go. These machines often utilize manual operation and require hot water and finely ground coffee. However, they can be bulkier and more expensive compared to the Aeropress Go. I would like to test out the Nanopress when I get back to the UK and will update the results on here too.
All said and done,
the Aeropress Go is a remarkable portable coffee maker that combines convenience, versatility, and exceptional flavour. With its compact design, ease of use, and consistent results, it’s an excellent choice for coffee enthusiasts on the move. Whether you’re camping, travelling, or simply need a quick coffee fix, the Aeropress Go delivers.
Investing in a portable coffee maker opens up a world of possibilities, ensuring that you never have to compromise on the quality of your coffee, regardless of your location. So, pack your Aeropress Go, grab your favourite coffee beans, and embark on a coffee adventure wherever your wanderlust takes you. The perfect cup of coffee awaits, wherever you roam!
- How to Survive a long-haul budget flight with kids
- 7 reasons to use WISE for transferring money internationally
- Every fact you wanted to know about Egypt!
- The EASY and cheapest way to get your visa for Sri Lanka
- A Sri Lanka Safari Adventure for all budgets
- What do you need for worldschooling success?