Welcome, fellow family travel addicts!
Is “where to next?’ your favourite question too?
Well we have very kindly collected our family travel destinations here, all in one place to inspire your next adventure.
Planning Family Travel
Choosing the right destination to travel with kids can be the tipping point of a great trip and a erm…not so good trip. And with planning family travel comes the challenge of trying to find something to suit every member of the family.
💫Top Tip for choosing your next destination
Establish your travel priorities as a family. What is it you need from the trip? What worked well on past trips and what bombed?
Sit down together and have an open and honest conversation about what each member of the family hopes to experience and enjoy on the trip. Consider factors like everyone’s interests, budget, and the length of travel time.
Are you looking for adventure, relaxation, cultural experiences, or a bit of everything? By identifying your collective priorities, you can narrow down your options and select a destination that not only satisfies each family member but also creates lasting memories for everyone. Planning your trip based on shared priorities ensures that your family adventure is both enjoyable and unforgettable.
Need someone to talk to?
Trying to plan a family trip and pulling out your hair with the process.
Well, luckily, we offer a family travel consultation service to alleviate all that stress (give it to me, I live for the planning process!). We are out there travelling somewhere right now, and have been for the over a year so have plenty of current, boots on the ground experience to share
You can search for your destination here or browse our catalogue below.
Ready to dive in? On this page you will find a growing list of the places we have been and our honest opinions, tips and insights to help you plan your next adventure. From vibrant cities to remote tropical paradises, we are on a quest for amazing destinations to travel with kids and share with you.
Family travel in Europe
Budget busting Europe is the ultimate playground for both young and old souls alike, and that’s why it’s such a cool destination to travel with kids. But before you cry looking at the cost of a croissant in France, let us introduce you to new destinations that won’t bankrupt you. If it’s the iconic landmarks and famous sights you are after, Europe offers a bucket load of history, culture, and experiences that will captivate the imaginations of your little adventurers.
You can be roaming through ancient ruins where mighty gladiators once battled in the Roman Colosseum, getting up close and personal with artwork in the Louvre, or unraveling the mysteries of legend and mythology in Ancient Athens. The diversity of European countries means that you can immerse yourselves in a variety of cultures, languages, and traditions, opening up a world of learning opportunities for your curious kiddos.
Want our ready made itineraries? Save hours on planning
Visiting Europe with kids – Pro’s and Con’s
On the positive side, Europe offers an abundance of educational opportunities.
- The continent is a living history book, where kids can witness iconic landmarks, immerse themselves in different cultures, and learn about ancient civilizations firsthand.
- The diverse landscapes and climates provide a range of outdoor activities, from exploring fairy-tale castles to hiking scenic trails.
- Europe’s efficient transportation system makes it easy to navigate between destinations, ensuring convenience and minimizing travel stress.
- Furthermore, European cities often boast family-friendly amenities such as parks, playgrounds, and interactive museums, making it easier to keep the little ones entertained
However, it’s important to consider the cons as well. But tbh pros first every time!
- Europe’s popularity as a tourist destination means that major attractions can be crowded, potentially𖡞 leading to long queues and impatient children. Check out our blog on travelling in the shoulder season.
- The high cost of accommodation, dining, and activities in some areas may strain your travel budget.
- Language barriers can occasionally pose challenges, especially when seeking help or trying to communicate effectively. Our blended attempt at English/Spanish and Italian was scoffed at a few times when attempting to order a cappuccino in Milan!
🌍EUROPE DESTINATIONS HERE
BLOGS BEING UPDATED WEEKLY SO CHECK BACK FOR MORE – SAVE TO BOOKMARKS
- 11 Amazing activities for a short stay in Split with Kids
- Exploring The Italian Dolomites in a Campervan with Kids 2023
- The National Museum of Scotland- Officially the best museum in the world *according to my kids
- Family Road Trip to the Peloponnese, Greece.
- Hvar-ly Ever After: Exploring one of Croatia’s Magical Islands
- Exploring the Scottish Highlands: A Family Adventure in Aviemore
- Exploring Edinburgh on a Shoestring Budget with Kids: A 48-Hour Itinerary
- Plan an Awesome 48 hours in Athens with kids
- Conquer the Acropolis: Family-Friendly Tips for an Epic Adventure
- Family Adventures in Venice: A 48-Hour Budget-Friendly Itinerary
Start your worldschooling adventure here?
Meet The Worldschool Coach 👋
My goal is to empower families to confidently embrace worldschooling as part of the travel experience. As a qualified teacher and experienced worldschooling parent, I can help you to discover the right path for your family, whether maintaining academic standards or embracing the amazing learning potential of family travel.
Family Travel in South East Asia
South East Asia is an absolute gem when it comes to traveling with kids, and let me tell you why. Wait, I’ll list this because there are a lot!
- Food! Pad Thai, Banh Mi, Gado- Gado, Satay, Curry, Roti Canal, Nasi goreng, the freshest fruit and veg…the food list could go on forever but this is a food lover’s dream!
- Amazing beaches- Tanjung Aan (Lombok), An Bang (Vietnam), Gili islands, Koh Lipo (Thailand)
- Diverse religions- From the mosques of Brunei and Malaysia, to the Pagodas in Vietnam the range of vibrant cultures can be experienced everywhere.
- History- Fascinating and incredibly dark in parts, there is so much to learn and understand about this region of the world.
- Nature- Volcanoes, Lakes, Rice terraces, jungle, beaches, caves…the list is endless.
- People- Possibly the highlight of SEAsia is the friendly nature of almost everyone you meet.
The range of experiences, activities and the diversity of cultures are endless. Imagine delving into ancient civilizations as you explore mysterious ruins and learn about the fascinating stories behind them.
Your kids can sneak a peak at traditional ceremonies and colourful festivals, immersing themselves in the traditions and customs of South East Asia. And let’s not forget the tastes, flavors and aromas to these your taste buds! From delicious street food in Thailand to trying their hand at cooking classes in Sri Lanka, your kids will develop a love for new cuisines.
Visiting Asia – Pro’s and Con’s
Now we are a little biased here, as we lived in Borneo for five years and our kids lived there for most of their lives. So we are all about the Pro’s but we can also acknowledge some of the challenges too.
Pros of visiting South East Asia with kids:
- Cultural Exposure: South East Asia offers a rich cultural experience, allowing kids to broaden their horizons and develop a global perspective. The historical side might not be as access able as Europe.
- Warm Hospitality: The region is known for its friendly locals who welcome families with genuine warmth and smiles. Just learn a few local words and you will have miles of smiles.
- Exotic Cuisine: South East Asia’s diverse culinary scene introduces kids to a wide range of delicious and unique flavours plus a touch of spice.
- Family-Friendly Activities: From exploring ancient temples to swimming in crystal clear waters and encountering wildlife, there are loads of activities suitable for families.
- Rich History: Kids can explore ancient ruins and learn about the fascinating stories and civilizations in the area.
Challenges of visiting South East Asia with kids:
- Climate: Some like it hot (we do), but the hot and humid climate might require adjustments, especially for younger kids.
- Cleanliness: Some areas may have limited access to clean water and sanitation facilities, rubbish collection and systems is likely to differ to home.
- Language Barriers: Language differences can occasionally pose challenges, but basic phrases and patience can help overcome communication barriers. South East Asia has been a popular tourist destination for many years and most people around the common tourist spots will have enough English to get by
- Health Risks: It’s important to be aware of potential health risks and take necessary precautions, such as vaccinations and proper medical care as local services will generally not match your standards from home unless in major cities.
🌏ASIA DESTINATIONS HERE
BLOGS BEING UPDATED WEEKLY SO CHECK BACK FOR MORE – SAVE TO BOOKMARKS
- The EASY and cheapest way to get your visa for Sri Lanka
- A Sri Lanka Safari Adventure for all budgets
- Travel around Sri Lanka with Kids- the easiest, the cheapest and the most exciting!
- Bali with kids? The best 7-day Ubud itinerary for families
- Top things to do in Siem Reap with kids (besides Angkor Wat) in 2023
- Unique things to do in Ho Chi Minh with Kids
- The best activities to do with kids near Hoi An
- Going to the Gili’s: the best bits with kids
- Lombok: Indonesia’s Paradise for Family Travel
- Hoi An with Kids; cheap cuisine, rich history, vibrant culture and exciting activities
- An awesome animal encounter – Orangutans in Borneo
- A Family-Friendly Guide to Kota Kinabalu: Exploring the Islands and More
- Discover the Wonders of Borneo: An Adventurous Family Destination
- The Ultimate Guide to Sri Lankan Food for Families
- Where To Surf In Sri Lanka With Kids – Best Beaches 2023
Better get packing!
Check out our travel essentials and more on our Travel Gear Page.